Monday, October 27, 2014

The Birth of a Cookie - - Raisin 'Not'Meal Cookies




I was standing in the kitchen thinking about this recipe (honestly I was thinking about cookies) and putting ingredients together when a friend of mine posted on facebook about the birth of her little girl. So, the unofficial name for these cookies will forever be
"Happy BIRTH Day Raisin 'Not'Meal Cookies." 


Since the creation of these cookies coincides with the birth of a baby, I thought it was only fitting to write a bit about the creative process that goes into bringing a recipe to life. One of my favorite cookies growing up was Oatmeal Raisin (I know...boring... I was also the kid who asked for extra green beans for dinner). Oatmeal Raisin cookies were the inspiration, but honestly the only ingredient in common is the raisins.



When I make AIP treats, as much as possible I like them to be fruit sweetened only, so I started with some bananas and dates. Then, I needed something to turn them into dough and the coconut I was toasting for coconut butter found  it's way into the mixing bowl. Next I needed a flour (coconut is my go to) and a raising agent (baking soda and vinegar). The final step before adding the raisins was the flavor profile. When I think of raisins, two things come to mind... cinnamon buns and tea, so in went some cinnamon and some brewed rooibos tea. I stirred in the raisins and cookies were born.


The plan was to pack them all up and take to my friend in the hospital tomorrow. You don't think she'll miss a few, do you?? I had to taste test one or two...ok three. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

PS - if you're looking for a yummy yet healthy treat to send with your kids to school parties these would be perfect since they're nut free, allergen free and fruit sweetened.



"Happy BIRTH Day" Raisin 'Not'Meal Cookies

Serves- makes 18 cookies
Time - 10 minutes + 20 minutes to bake

Ingredients:
- 2 medium bananas (still yellow- not overly mushy)
- 6 pitted dates (if not soft, soak in warm water for a few minutes)
- 1/2 t Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (toasted)
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/4 cup brewed rooibos or tea of choice
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raisins

Method:
- preheat oven to 190C/375F
- toast the coconut by spreading it in a baking dish and putting in the oven at 190C/375F for a few minutes until it turns a caramel brown color. Watch it closely and stir every couple of minutes. Once toasted, allow the coconut to cool before use.
- brew a cup of rooibos (or tea of choice) - let it steep 5-6 minutes in the hot water to make a strong cup of tea
- place dates and bananas in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth
- add all other ingredients to the food processor and pulse until well combined
- stir in the raisins
- use a small cookie scoop to scoop 3/4 inch - 1 inch balls of dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper
- use a fork to flatten the cookies
- bake for 20 minutes at 190C/ 375F until edges are beginning to brown
- transfer baking paper to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before removing
- use a thin spatula to carefully remove them from the paper
- the cookies maintain a soft and chewy consistency 


** This recipe was shared on the Phoenix Helix Weekly AIP Recipe Roundup