Monday, February 9, 2015

Bacon + Cookies = Love


Over the weekend I kept thinking about bacon. The funny thing is that I haven't had bacon in months, and I haven't bought bacon in years. For any of my readers who don't actually know me. . . I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. This is a Muslim country and bacon is 'haram' (sinful) to Muslims and in order to buy bacon here you have to go to a special part of the grocery store that says 'for non-muslims only.' I always feel a little weird going in there, and usually choose not to buy pork as a way to respect my muslim friends and neighbors. I am a Christian and based on Acts 10:15, "what God has made clean, do not call common," I know that it's fine for me to eat bacon. My choice not to buy it is simply a matter of respect.





But, I couldn't get to bacon out of my mind. I kept imagining all kinds of delicious treats and fun food combinations involving bacon. So, after hours of dreaming up ways to enjoy said bacon I ventured into the pork section of the store and bought some bacon. By the time I got home, the decision had been made and I knew the bacon had to become cookies. 


What flavors would make the bacon even better??? Banana? Dates? Maple Syrup? All three? Before long these flavor explosions were being gobbled up. These cookies aren't overly sweet, so if you prefer a sweeter cookie, you may want to sprinkle some coconut sugar on top before baking. 

**A note about "AIP Treats": While it is true that these cookies and other treats on this blog are made with AIP friendly ingredients, it should be noted that the AIP diet is primarily about nutrient density and healing and with that in mind treats should be reserved for special occasions. This are occasional foods, not everyday food. Treat often are higher in sugar content (even fruit) and as sugar causes inflammation for many of us following AIP, we need to make treats an occasional part of our lives.


Bacon Date Cookies

Makes: 16 -18 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minute
Bake Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 6 T coconut flour
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla flavoring (alcohol free)
- 2 T bacon fat (or fat of choice- coconut oil)
- 4 dates - finely chopped 
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon pieces - this was about 100 grams uncooked bacon

Method
- cook and crumble bacon. I chose to cut my bacon into strips and pan fry because I planned on using the oil in the recipe as well, but you can bake your bacon for less mess.
- preheat oven to 400F/ 200C
- mix dry ingredients - coconut flour, salt & baking soda
- mash banana and mix with other wet ingredients - maple, vanilla & bacon fat
- mix wet and dry ingredients together and stir in chopped dates and crumbled bacon
- use a small cookie scoop to about 1 T of the batter onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cookies won't spread out, so you can place them close together
- use the tines of a fork to flatten the cookies a bit and sprinkle with a bit more sea salt
- bake at 400F/ 200C for 15 minutes - or until edges are golden brown







**This recipe is share on the AIP Recipe Roundup on Phoenix Helix