I'm one of those weirdos who never really liked 'breakfast' foods. I mean who came up with the arbitrary rule that hamburgers aren't breakfast food. It's food that helps me break my fast and feeds my body for the day. Growing up, one of my favorites was leftover cold spaghetti. YUM. So, needless to say, I made the switch to eating soup and other leftovers for breakfast quite easy.
A few random facts about breakfast:
- For much of history breakfast wasn't a thing. Until around 1600s, most people ate only 1 or 2 meals a day
- The idea of the 'full english breakfast' started in the middle ages....but only as a way to eat up all the eggs and meat before the start of lent. So, it was only done a few days out of the year and may not have been eaten in the morning.
- In the 17th century the wealthy began to have 'breakfast rooms' and eat meals in the morning and these meals became more luxurious over time.
- In the mid 19th century during the time of the industrial revolution, the need for a meal to fuel the day became more important as people went off to hard labor jobs for the day.
- By the 1930's breakfast began to be promoted as the most important meal of the day.
- Western European breakfasts are often coffee and bread
- Chinese breakfast is often dumplings and soup.... hmmmm
- Japanese breakfasts might include rice and fish... I like fish for breakfast
- Indian breakfasts often contain rice, lentil/ rice breads and vegetable stews
- Columbian breakfast are often leftovers from the night before with eggs
- Cambodian breakfasts are often rice noodle soups
As I read about breakfasts and thought about the breakfast that's often eaten around the world, my first thought was that AIP/ Paleo breakfasts only seem weird if you're from a culture where bread, pancakes, cereal, etc. rule the breakfast menu. The rest of the world seems to be ok with leftovers, soup and even fish for breakfast.
I love my AIP/ Paleo breakfasts, BUT I regularly get asked how I eat soup for breakfast. I even had some person say, 'your food always looks good, and I know I need to change my diet, but I could never eat soup for breakfast. it's just weird.' Well, if eating soup for breakfast makes me weird, then weird I am.
Basic Tips for a Good AIP Breakfast:
- Try to get the idea of 'breakfast foods' out of your mind & think of breakfast as simply one of your 3 meals of the day.
- Starting the day with a solid nutrient dense breakfast will help to fuel you for the day.
- Leftovers make for a quick and easy breakfast.
- Try to include veggies, protein and healthy fats in every meal. Skillet meals are perfect for this.
- If you don't think you can handle meat in the morning, try a broth based soup.... I told you, I love soup for breakfast.
Now, on to the recipes. In the list below you'll find a bunch of AIP friendly recipes with everything from pancakes to soup and everything in between. You'll even find some 'breakfast' classics like 'oatmeal' and biscuits. For all these recipes and more check out my AIP Recipe- Breakfast Board on Pinterest where I'm always adding new recipes.
8 AIP Pancake Recipes
- AIP Cassava Pancakes - Adventures in Partaking
- AIP Pancakes - Cook it Up Paleo
- Baked Plantain Pumpkin Pancakes - Curious Coconut
- Banana Pancakes - Paleo Magazine
- Coconut and Sweet Potato Flour Pancakes - Further Food
- Plantain & Apple Fritters - Plaid and Paleo
- Spinach Raspberry Pancakes - Zesty Paleo
- 10 minute Blueberry Pancakes - Eat, Play, Love... More
10 AIP Breakfast 'Breads'
- AIP Blueberry Coffeecake - Eat Beautiful
- AIP Cinnamon Rolls - Adventures in Partaking
- Apple Raisin Breakfast Bars - Cook it Up Paleo
- Bacon Herb Biscuits - Civilized Caveman
- Banana Bacon Muffins - Adventures in Partaking
- Blueberry Muffins - Cook it Up Paleo
- Fluffy AIP Biscuits - Living Lovely Autoimmune
- Raisin Cake - Lichen Paleo, Lovin AIP
- Real Deal Paleo/ AIP Biscuits - Adventures in Partaking
- Sweet Potato Paratha - Adventures in Partaking
12 AIP Breakfast Meats
- Apple Sage Sausage with Cauliflower Grits - Adventures in Partaking
- Apple Spice Breakfast Patties - Adventures in Partaking
- Bacon and Maple Meatballs - Paleo OMG
- Beef Breakfast Sausage - The Paleo Mom
- Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Burgers - Adventures in Partaking
- Butternut Breakfast Bites - Adventures in Partaking
- Cherry Spice Sausages - Adventures in Partaking
- Italian Spiced 50/50 Sausages - Autoimmune Wellness
- Perfect Breakfast Sausage - Phoenix Helix
- Sweet Potato and Apple Breakfast Patties - Paleo OMG
- Sweet Potato Crab Cakes - Adventures in Partaking
- Sweet & Spicy Sausage Seasoning - Adventures in Partaking
4 AIP Breakfast Hash Browns & Other Starches
- Chicken Hash Brown Patties - Fresh Tart
- Crispy AIP Hash Browns - the Curious Coconut (omit black pepper)
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - Adventures in Partaking
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns - Brian Prom Blog
7 AIP Breakfast Soups & Other One Pot Meals
- Baked Breakfast Casserole with Raisins and Apples - Provencial Paleo
- Breakfast Salad with Garlic Sweet Potatoes and Bacon - Meatified
- Breakfast Stoup - Adventures in Partaking
- Breakfast Soup - Meatified
- Green Breakfast Soup - Lichen Paleo Lovin AIP
- Spiced Carrot Soup - Adventures in Partaking (top with any leftover meat)
- Spring Breakfast Chicken Soup - A Squirrel in the Kitchen
11 AIP Breakfast Hashes & Skillets
- Apple and Bacon Not Potato Hash - Real Everything
- Breakfast Hash Casserole - A Squirrel in the Kitchen
- Breakfast Sweet Potato Beef Hash - Food to Heal Ourselves
- Chicken Breakfast Skillet - Joy Filled Nourishment
- Cinnamon and Maple Breakfast Hash - Whole Earth Life
- Create Your Own Breakfast Skillet - Autoimmune Wellness
- Lamb & 2 Squash Skillet - Adventures in Partaking
- Maple and Sage Sausage Skillet - Adventures in Partaking
- Morrocan Breakfast Skillet - Autoimmune Wellness
- Sweet Potato, Apple & Pancetta Hash - Gutsy by Nature
- Turkey Apple Breakfast Hash - Fed & Fulfilled
11 AIP Not'Meals/ Porridge
- AIP Paleo Breakfast Porridge - Zen Functional Wellness
- Apple Cauliflower Porridge - The Paleo Mom
- Apple Cranberry Oatmeal - Meatified
- Apple Pie Baked Not'Meal - Adventures in Partaking
- Banana Bread Not'Meal - Adventures in Partaking
- Banana Cinnamon Oatmeal - Healing Family Eats
- Banana Cream Pie Not'Meal - Fresh Planet Flavor
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Cereal - Eat Heal Thrive
- Maple Brown Sugar N'Oatmeal - Strictly Delicious
- Peach and Ginger Oatmeal - Healing Family Eats
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Not'Meal - Fresh Planet Flavor
- Pumpkin Porridge - Healing Family Eats
Much of the history of breakfast & breakfast info came from: