Thursday, February 2, 2017

Spicy Alu Makha (mashed sweet potatoes) - {AIP, Paleo, Vegan}

spicy alu makha (mashed sweet potatoes) - AIP, Paleo, Vegan

Last weekend I spent some time in Abu Dhabi with my fiance and his parents. As we lead up to our wedding, one of the things that he needed to do was get his parents settled in their own place, and that has been the task of the week. So, I drove up to hang out and help as I could. Most of the afternoon was spent contacting people who had listed furniture for sale on various classifieds pages and going to check out said furniture. We also spent some time looking for boxes and chatting about this Seinfeld clip



The funniest moment of the afternoon came right after I mentioned this clip as I was suggesting places where boxes might be found. We were driving along the road when I saw them - 2 perfect boxes just sitting their minding their own business on the side of the road. I managed to say..... "boxes"... "boxes"... "stop." It's true what Seinfeld says, when you're moving, all you can think about is boxes.

We took the perfect boxes home and before I hit the road back to Dubai, we enjoyed an early dinner together as a family. My future mother-in-law is great about cooking foods that I can eat and always makes sure there's something AIP (+ my reintroductions) on the table. As we sat down she let me know which dishes I could enjoy and which were off limits and we enjoyed a great dinner together.

One of the Bethany approved dishes was a bowl of spicy mashed potatoes. (I know... I know... potatoes aren't AIP, but I can eat them in moderation). As I enjoyed these potatoes, I just kept thinking 'my AIP friends need this recipe.' And, I'll be honest, the rest of the meal I was doing recipe creation in my head.... swap out sweet potatoes, omit the seed spices, focus on the garlic & ginger, add some freshness with the cilantro. By the time I left, all I needed to do was buy a sweet potato and get cooking. 

If you're like me and you miss spicy (especially Indian) foods, then this is a perfect side dish for your next meal. Considering pairing it with a curry like my Brakenhurst Style Chicken Curry or this Beef & Pumpkin Curry. Or, this would also make a great side dish for a simple baked salmon or meatloaf dinner as it will become the star of the meal.


spicy alu makha (mashed sweet potatoes) - AIP, Paleo, Vegan


Spicy Alu Makha (Mashed Sweet Potatoes)
{AIP, Paleo, Vegan}

Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 pound sweet potato - peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 medium red onion (1/2 cup thinly sliced)
2 cloves garlic - crushed
2 T olive oil
1 t pink himalayan salt
1/2 t dried turmeric
1/2 t dried ginger
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro/ coriander leaf

***OR*** replace turmeric, ginger and garlic with 1/2 T AIP Curry Powder


Method:
- peel and chop the sweet potato
- cover sweet potatoes with water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and boil until fork tender
- in the meantime, slice the onion and crush the garlic
- heat 1 T olive oil in a small skillet and saute the onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic, salt, turmeric & ginger and continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes until you can smell all of the spices. Remove the pan from the heat.
- once sweet potatoes are cooked, drain the water, and return to the pan add the onion mixture and 1 T olive oil and mash with a potato masher. 
- stir in the chopped cilantro/ coriander leaf and serve hot


*** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable

spicy alu makha (mashed sweet potatoes) - AIP, Paleo, Vegan